Nov 13 2010

The Green Light

Published by at 8:26 pm under Uncategorized

Thought to be one of the most important symbols in the book; the green light symbolizes Gatsby’s dreams and hopes for the future. The green light is shown on Daisy’s East Egg dock and barely visible from Gatsby’s West egg lawn but it still manages to it haunt him.  In chapter 1 We are made aware of the green light when Gatsby talks of it linking it to Daisy and how he hopes to reach her.  Later on in chapter 9 Nick says this is what it must have looked to immigrants when they first arrived to America;  all they could see was a green light in the distance. Nick first sees Gatsby with his arms reaching out towards the green light.  Gatsby hopes to win Daisy love and the green light represents his attempts to reach her. When Daisy and Gatsby reunite there is a mist that covers the green light.  The green light flickers as Gatsby’s longing to be with Daisy.  It is so close and yet so far from him. This small piece of technology ; a light holds all of Gatsby’s aspirations . His willingness to forget everything and everyone around him just to get Daisy. He ignores his houseful of people and his wealth thinking that he will find at last what he has been waiting for. Technology has its limitations and picks and chooses who can be an “user” of it. Daisy belongs to a different class and technology will always work in her favor. Jay is a man made social elite and technology will only taunt him but never let him succeed.

9 responses so far

9 Responses to “The Green Light”

1.   Pharmg724on 26 Mar 2012 at 9:31 am

Hello! cddbdee interesting cddbdee site! I’m really like it! Very, very cddbdee good!

2.   long distance moverson 04 Apr 2012 at 5:08 am

This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post.

3. Traditional Chinese Herb Medicine Powerful to Cure Diabetes…

[Traditional Chinese Herb Medicine is powerful to cure Diabetes. Unfortunately most of people know not the magic power of 5000-year passed on Chinese medicine that can cure most of human disease that common medical system totally is lost there, which i…

4. Traditional Chinese Herb Medicine Powerful to Cure Diabetes…

5.   Haga informationon 23 Mar 2013 at 3:41 am

Good information. Lucky me I recently found your site by chance (stumbleupon). I have saved as a favorite for later!

6.   https://printerator.jux.com/on 18 Jun 2013 at 8:22 am

I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into
    any internet browser compatibility issues? A small number of
    my blog visitors have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    Do you have any tips to help fix this issue?

7.   commercial pest controlon 17 Jul 2013 at 5:39 pm

For newest information you have to visit internet and
    on web I found this web page as a most excellent web site
    for most recent updates.

my homepage :: commercial pest control

8.   improvement ideason 11 Aug 2014 at 2:10 am

Hi everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this web page, and article is
    really fruitful for me, keep up posting these types of content.

9.   photoshop onlineon 06 Sep 2014 at 3:14 pm

hello!,I like your writing very a lot! share we
    keep up a correspondence more about your article on AOL?

I require an expert on this house to solve my
    problem. Maybe that’s you! Looking ahead to look you.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS